Saturday, May 30, 2009

Odaiko workshop with Yoshikazu Fujimoto!

Last Thursday, through KASA, TAIKOPROJECT and Bombu members had the opportunity to take a workshop with Yoshikazu Fujimoto. Yoshikazu, one of the founders of Kodo, is the senior most performing member of Kodo. He is also the featured Odaiko player for the group so when I heard he was giving us a workshop on odaiko at our practice space (Higashi), I was super excited! Little did I know what kind of workout I was about to get.

To put it briefly, his workshop consisted of learning an Odaiko song through kuchishoga, air bachi, and then playing it on the drums. He taught us his style of playing and then we played... and played... and played. I'll only speak for myself, but I thought my arms were going to fall off. haha!

After the workshop, Yoko Fujimoto performed for us. She sang a lullaby from Japan. There's something about her amazing voice that really moves people. Then, Yoko and Yoshikazu sang a duet for us. Yoshikazu started off singing Kiyari and Yoko came in with Hachijou. They both have super powerful voices and to hear those songs live only 10 feet away from you was quite an experience. Then they did a more upbeat, festive song for us.

What's a taiko gathering without food and drinks! We stayed afterwards and ate yummy snacks. Throughout the workshop, I couldn't help but think how lucky we were to take a workshop. Recently, it's been TP that gives workshops (which we love to do) and we rarely taken any. So, when the opportunity comes, you can count me in!

Thanks Donna for setting this all up for us! Yay! I had so much fun and it makes me want to play Odaiko more!

I didn't get to take too many photos, but here's one!
Maz, Yoko, Yoshikazu, Bryan, me, and Courtney.

:)

No comments: