Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Adventures in Coeur d'Alene

The first stop on our glorious tour through the American Pacific Northwest was beautiful and green Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. This is where I had the rare chance to really get to know some wonderful ladies during the black of night in a new children’s recreation center. I realize this sounds like an odd experience. So, allow me to explain further…

Bryan, Brian, Yuri and I arrived at North Idaho College, after an afternoon of air and compact car travel, at about 9:30pm on August 5th. We pulled up to the outdoor stage just as David and Maz were sound-checking the last piece in preparation for the show that was to take place the following day. It looked like they were wrapping up, so we left everything in the car and went out to help. At the end of the sound check, we worked together to put all of the equipment into the recreation center, directly behind the stage, for the evening.

Hunger set in midway through clean-up, and we decided to get some dinner as soon as we were through. I remember mentioning during that discussion, probably because I was delirious and not using my brain filter, that I had had the urge to use the ladies room all afternoon, but with no success. Travel woes… Finally, as the last few pieces of equipment were being tucked away into our storage hallway, I thought I felt success coming on.

“David,” I said jokingly as I ran into the ladies room, “I’m going to use the restroom. Don’t leave without me!” As you probably guessed, I had no success. But that’s not all.

As I exited and re-entered the empty storage hallway, I thought I heard voices at the back of the center. I walked back into the dark area only to find the voices of the ladies who would later be my heroes. “They must already be outside,” I thought as walked to the door.

When I got there, the car and Taiko Project van were gone! I thought I saw the taillights of the van exiting the parking lot, but I couldn’t be sure. Of course, my phone was in the car. I ran to the tech guy nearest me and asked if he had Maz or Bryan’s cell phone number. He did not.

This is normally when the adrenaline would build up and one’s fight or flight instincts might kick in. If this happened to me, I didn’t feel it. I felt like a sleepy zombie as I wandered back into the recreation center to escape the bugs and plan my escape. I thought hard, and finally remembered that there was a gig sheet, with the necessary phone numbers, in the merchandise box in the hallway. Unluckily for me, the merchandise box was at the bottom of the equipment pile. “Oh well,” I thought as I began to dig it out.

As I was digging, the ladies I heard before came over and offered their assistance. I said I was fine, and that I was just looking for a document. I didn’t want to tell them I was in a bit of a pickle. I remembered, however, that once I had the phone numbers, I’d need to find a phone. And, they started to ask why I was the only one left. So I gave in and explained what I was doing. All three of them immediately offered their cell phones for me to use, and kept me company with great conversation while I dug. It was then that I felt it appropriate to laugh with them at this rare situation.

I will never forget the surprise and disbelief in the “WHAT!” I heard in Maz’s voice as I told him what had happened. He immediately turned around and was back, along with David and Yuri, within 10 minutes. I also will never forget the hug and apology (it was as if I had almost died!) from David as he jumped out of the van with a scared look on his face.

This was actually not a bad experience, but one that I thought I needed to share. After all, almost immediately after this most interesting part of the trip, a tweet to the world announced the story for all to read. I figured I better explain a bit further. I feel lucky to have met and chatted with these three wonderful ladies and two unique tech guys as I waited for my teammates to return. I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to experience the North Idaho College green at night. And, I feel extra lucky to have great teammates who came back for me! They could have very well ignored the call. ☺ Overall, it was a great evening. I suggest everyone try it sometime.

No comments: